Saturday, July 13, 2013

Florida 70.3- May 2013

Coming off such a high from Wildflower I was expecting good things for myself from Florida. It was 2 weeks after Wildflower so I had a week of training to do then I could taper off again.

I stayed with another unreal Homestay, Brian and Kim Jones, and also Beth Bradford who looked after me race night!

I was determined to not have another bad start to my swim and warmed up very well right up until the gun went off. Well, it worked. I had a magnificent start and decided rather than lead the swim just settle in which I did. I felt unreal the entire time so with about 600m to go I decided I wanted it and took off for the win. I was stoked to take out my first 70.3 swim with 25.35, the guys finished in 23.40 so not too bad of a swim.

                             

The bike was a bit frustrating for me, as i couldnt seem to shake Mary Beth Ellis off my wheel. I was feeling good though and contined to ride hard. At the 80k mark I accidentally took a wrong turn and realized straight away, only not quick enough and MbE passéd, as did an age group man who she appeared to jump right onto the back of. I smashed myself trying to bridge to them but they just took off. She put over 2min into me in 10k. I was a little pissed off about this to be honest. It did appear she was a little close to the guy but anyway.

                                 
I was coming off the bike in 2nd place, 2min behind MBE. 2.19. Not too bad... And then I crash landed off the bike, face plant right at the dismount line. I have never done that before. I think my shoe hit the ground a little too hard and it catapulted my bike, and me who was holding onto the bike face first into the ash fault. I had a bit of blood but felt in one piece so continued on.

                                  

The run actually felt pretty good for the first section but I guess the lack of running hit me about 7k and I quickly went backwards, I finished up the run with a 1.35 and I ended up in 6th with 4.24. Out of the money. Bugger. No swim primes at this race either. But happy to have another finish under my belt for then year next up New Orleans 5150- next week!

                        

No comments: