Friday, July 12, 2013

Wildflower May 2013

My first race in the USA for 2013, my first race "cured" from my mysterious cramping which had plagued me since the end of 2006, which ended up being a slipped vertebra in my back i can fix with a simple stretch, i was excited to see what I could do.

My Homestay was awesome, I was lucky enough to stay with Keith "K-Man" Schmidt, right on the expo/finish line in his huge RV. It was so great being at Wildflower and not having to go up and down that damn hill every time I went 'home' or to the race sight, it was fantastic.

Another first for wildflower- non wetsuit swim! Yeeha! The lake was very low and warm this year- 72 degrees. The morning of the race the air was still cool despite the water being quite warm and after a good warm up I got cold standing around waiting for the men to go off. It meant when the gun went off my arms were very heavy and I had a terrible start but I knew I had the swim fitness behind me so pushed the whole way and ended up in 4th not too far behind the lead girls. I swam a 27.30 while the lead guys swam about 26.50 so actually really happy with it considering I swam alone the whole way, I felt strong.



Onto the bike, my favorite bit of triathlon. I felt good right from the start and went hard the entire way, I won't lie I wanted the record. I saw that a lady had ridden 2.30 and I wanted it! I ended up riding fast- but 2.32. Not overly happy but yet i was off in first and I had a nice gap on the rest of the field.

                                       

I had just got over the stress reaction in my shin and had quite a bit of time off running, which with my run background and ability is not a good thing... So naturally I got run down mile 4, by Heather Jackson. She is such an awesome competitor and I knew she was a great runner, so my goal quickly changed to stay in 2nd- no more passes!! It's a tough run and I love it, it lived up to all expectations hot and hilly but I got myself to the final downhill kilometer and crossed the line in 2nd, i was back!!

                                       

My first drug test wasn't the greatest of experiences- 3 hours later, I was finally able to go and enjoy the moment!

No comments: