Thursday, April 19, 2007

Canberra ITU- 27 Jan 07

This was to be my first race as a pro. It was a sprint race (750/20/5) and I was very nervous. It was also going to be an afternoon race which was different from what i was used to- it was also going to be draft legal.

The swim was a bit of a square and a mass start with everyone lined up against the wall of lake burley griffin. It was furious and fast. I was completely lost right from the start- where did all that speed come from!?!?

So i didn't start out very well. I was way back right from the start. With 11:20 swim (told ya i was lost!) i was 1min back on the leaders already. But was excited at the prospect of being allowed to work with girls on the bike and so soon we created a small pack of 4 and another girl and i worked very well together and managed to close the gap on the main 2nd pack. The ride was a few laps of parks way from the Civic Pool roundabout to the roundabout infront of the war memorial. Unable to break away from this group we all went onto the run together about two minutes down on the leaders.

The run was along the foreshore, I had a steady run and managed to pass quite a few girls and come in with a 19:31. This put me into 10th place with an overall time of 1:05:04 which was 3minutes down from the winner but only about a minute and a half from 2nd place. So although i was bitterly dissapointed with my swim (which had actually been going quite well in training..) I had a pretty good chase and was happy with the outcome of my first pro race.

Next was Penrith Oceania Championships. Olympic Distance- more my cup of tea =)

No comments: