Thursday, April 19, 2007

Penrith Oceania Championship- 4 February 07

Awesome. My first Olympic Distance Triathlon as a pro and i was excited. Traveled up to Penrith with Ben, Jimmy and Elliot Wise and stayed at a comfortable and cosey little caravan park with a triple bunk (sailor style) for the kiddies and double for coach. Poor Jimmy didn't fit all that well and elliot and i could only laugh when he proceeded to have a conversation with his girlfriend without failing to mention the fact that he was sleeping inbetween another chick and dude.

Anyway race day - a late morning race. So we rode in in the morning for a warm up but drove in later for the start. Organisation unfortunately wasn't quite up to scratch. After a bit of curfuffle the men ended up starting first with the gals about 10min back.

Swim start. I started great- i was ready for the sprint this time but unfortunatley it doesn't stop there. They also sprint around the buoys. Point taken for next time. I lost it and ended up back of the pack again. 2min down on the leaders. WHY??!?!

But onto the ride and again one of the other girls and i worked very well together to make up time. we caught a small group and soon caught the main field. We were also putting time into the leaders. It was working fantastically until i got a flat. I just have to mention here that changing flats is my favourite past time. I changed it- no i didn't have a spare wheel. I did the manual operation and apparently it was caught on video and was quite quick. Great =). But i had lost the pack. I was determined not to get lapped and to finish the race. I was dead last and got the sympathetic claps. How embarrasing. But i pushed on, somewhat slower than what i would have done in a group but nervertheless i made it onto the run course all by myself.

The run. It was lonely and messed with my head. I felt like i was plodding and really just wanted to finish. I was so far back and kept getting visions of finishing 10min behind the last person and they would be packing up...But to my suprise at the beginning of the last lap there were girls infront of me that i could actually see!! I was gaining on them too! Soon enough i passed 2 of them, then there was a third (who was one of my main rivals- she had pulled out (heat probably)) and then another. I was flyin! (somewhat). I finished with a run time of 38:22 (not bad =)) and with an overall time of 2:13:49. I came 7th place and was 8min back on the winner. Concidering i lost 6min on the bike altogther this was alright! Bring on the season. (without flats please).

No comments: