Thursday, April 19, 2007

Hobart Sprint Championships- 18 February 07

I went into this race just like any other- excited. But the hype really got to me when the other guys had raced that morning, the juniors were up and racing and i was getting ready whilst passing by Annabell Luxford and Fliss Abrams.

Actually i dont think it really hit my until i was jumping into the water with them...what was i doing there and how the hell did i get there?

Swim start was fast and i started fantasticaly!! i was up there with the leaders and was sprinting away. I then settled in 2nd then 3rd and was so comfortable. I could really do this. Hmmm... Next lesson. Dont get too comfortable and look up every 2 strokes. I looked up (unfortunately after 2 many strokes) and lost them again. What was i doing!?! I just suffered the way back (only about 200-300 to go) and thought i was last out of the water. (i actualy wasn't suprisingly..)

Ok on to the bike and i wasn't going to go that easily. I powered off and was determined to catch up. I passed 2 girls really early on. And i felt i was making time on the main pack. I felt good then BAM. The cramps struck. They hurt too. Not just like those little calf or foot cramps that you get in swim training that you can swim through these guys were big in my hammy and quad on one side. It pulled and pulled but i refuse to pull out of races and this was not going to be an exception. It was made a reality though when i had to slow down, i just couldn't pedal anymore. And as i slowed the muscles got tighter and tighter and i couldn't move my leg. it was stuck straight. I hobbled to the 1st aid tent and they proceeded to take me to the massage tent to get it worked out. After some time the massuse said to me' i cant do anything for this leg go to first aid and see what they say and if you need come back and i'll give it another go'.

So with assistance i made it to first aid once agin where they gave me a very handy icepack wraped in 5cm of towel making it useless. Long story short no help- massage again where i regained 70% movement of the muscle again. I gave some thought to it and it had to be due to decreased levels of magnesium. Cramps had happened before it had to be the same thing.

Not happy. Little did i know at the time but this was to be the start of the epidemic called shingles. A pain in the ass virus. Dont get it.

No comments: