Sunday, April 15, 2007

Christmas 'Break'

After Newcastle i planned on having a small break from training. It had been a hard start to the season.. But with my attitude, uni finished and noone else taking much of a break i decided instead to smash myself with much success.

Ben and i decided after the way i had been racing lately it was time to step up, and i applied and received my professional racing licence. Because of this new motivation- and my first pro race in sight (Canberra Capital Triathlon) and seeing as i had all day everyday to do what ever i wanted- i trained. And got better and better until i started to fatigue but christmas break was coming so i coninued.

Over the break i went to adelaide to visit my grandparents and uncle for christmas (much to my delight my mum was also there!). I didn't bring my bike but i ran everyday morning and night along the beautiful stretch of beach to glenelg. I think this is where my sickness started somehow because this is where the cramps started. They wern't just small isolated cramps..they were all up my legs hammies and quads and they were painful. unlike the ones i would regularly get in training. It took awhile to recover because my legs were screaming in pain and lost all flexibility. Why dont i learn?

After a couple of days getting these cramps i did learn and decided to take the rest of the time i was in adelaide off so i was ready to come back to training when i returned.

After coming back i continued to train hard and had only one episode of the cramping whilst out riding.. I was worried by that stage but it turned out that would be the end of it and i figured i was just dehydrated.

In this time i also did my first cycling crit- B grade womens. I won it and was absolutely stoked! I loved this crit thing. I won $25 too (my entry fee back +$2 profit. More than i'd ever made before!) The next week i stepped up- A grade womens. I was stoked when entering that Canberra Cycling Club had decided to give me an Elite Cycling Licence for the season for free- promoting womens cyling. Awesome now i didn't have to pay 1 day licences! I was scared shitless at the start line but i did it...and WON! wow i couldn't belive it. I was srong though at this stage because of all the riding i had done over christmas. So I was into it and ready for the ITU junior race in Canberra.

No comments: