Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Geelong Triathlon- 16 April 06



Last race of the season. It was a nice chilly weekend in Geelong on the Friday and Saturday raining on and off and I was worried, despite the assurance of the weather man that it was not going to rain on Sunday, that it would rain during if not before the race, making the roads wet- worst fear! But as we should all trust the weather man- it didn’t rain. I was pleased when I woke up on Sunday morning and went off for my run that it didn’t seem too cold and the roads were dry! Returned from my run to the family (I was staying with my friend Hailey and her family) waiting to start the easter egg hunt- so we went off and did that- my amusement for the day.

Had breakfast, packed the car and headed off to the transition. I was staying about 20mins out from the waterfront. Put the bike in transition- we had nametags which is always handy, contemplated wearing arm warmers and decided against it- seeing as it would be my legs that needed the help anyway not my arms. My wave was to start 16 mins after the start- 16-19 and 20-24 together, I would be starting with Shell and Brooke. We waited down at the warf and were contemplating weather or not to do a warm up (because more than likely it would be more of a cool down!!) we decided we would do a quick one about 5 mins before our start. Took our gu’s and jumped in the water- it was cold no doubt about it but I decided it was all in my head, and with a bit of pee I had been saving, continued to warm up…haha. (a little trick I learnt was perfectly acceptable when doing a scuba diving course in Victoria a few years ago and it works so no frowning on it).

THE SWIM:
We lined up- and were off. I have to say it was the hardest start I have ever had. Usually I have no trouble sprinting off with the faster swimmers and getting into a rhythem but this race I had a lot of trouble getting away and got the knocks and even managed to get swum over from behind before I decided that was enough and accelerated a bit. It wasn’t long before people started to ‘die’ a bit and I was in clear water. I managed to loose the leaders to my disappointment but plodded along by myself. I was told I came out of the water about 6th .

THE RIDE
I had a shocking transition- as did everyone I think- cold hands and feet had trouble getting off the wetty but once I was off I was ready to smash it. I took off, had my feet in and was chasing straight away. I had 5 girls to chase down. Passed the first one straight away and was going past a lot quicker than what she was riding- she did put up a fight and came from behind to pass me (I was surprised!) but soon slowed down and I passed her and never saw her again. The next 2 came together and I didn’t see them again either. The last one wasn’t too far after them. (I didn’t actually realize she was the last one until I finished the bike- I was expecting another one but realized I must have passed her in transition1) The return leg of the bike was hard with the headwind and I was worried every second that shell and liz would come from behind. Liz did end up passing me along the way but my stubbornness got me once again in front of her- not by much though but enough. My transition 2 was very good I thought- nice and quick.

THE RUN
I went out onto the run 1st after a good ride and transition. I was expecting Liz to come up to me and sit on me the whole way in a repeat of Mooloolaba but she never came and I ended up doing most of the first lap by myself. Shell caught me a bit after 4 km. I wanted to go with her but I can’t run. I know it and I will work on it- it will come. I cant be disappointed because already it has improved so much so I am happy.

In the last lap some girls passed me and I was so stressed out about not coming 2nd to shell (after when she passed me gave some encouragement to hold on and get 2nd) that I picked up the pace and stuck by them, when reaching the chute I saw them veer off left (they had another lap to go!!!!) I ran through the finish to the announcer saying I had come 2nd! I was definitely happy with that!! Actually the first thing that came into my head was free uniform for worlds!! Yes! The next thought was shit my knee (ITB friction was killing me) third thought was shit my foot (I had a 2 great big nice blisters firmly planted on the outside and inside of my step- I had no way of avoiding them!)

Overall though I was happy. I finished with 2.16.46. I wish I could run but it will come I know it. Good 1st season I honestly can’t complain.

No comments: