Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mooloolaba Triathlon- 26 March 06


Flew up to Brisbane at 0700 on Saturday, and was met by a friend and taken back to her house in Brisbane. The weather was beautiful!! Despite wanting to leave straight away, she assured me it would be better to leave later because the traffic was bad heading up to the coast that time of day. We ended up going shopping and leaving about 1230.

Arriving just before 2, I quickly unpacked my bike (getting good at that now!!) and rode down to the registration, which was about a 30min bike ride away. Once there I tried to ride the course quite unsuccessfully because I didn’t really know where it was. I registered and then took my bike into compulsory night before transition which I wasn’t very happy with actually because much to my disappointment the females had not been put into age categories unlike the men, and had been shafted to the far side of transition completely out of the way and a detour from entries and exits. I then helped Michelle put her bike in transition and watched the criterion which was quite exciting. Whilst doing that (I always was good at doing two things at once!) I bought an orca tri suit- which I have wanted to get for ever!

Anyway that night I went to sunshine plaza with my friend and had pasta for dinner sitting alongside the river- I have never seen a mall built on top of a river before- it is awesome! I stayed at my friends grandma’s place that night- went to bed about 930-10.


Up at 0445, run for 20mins, breakfast, shower and left at 0530. Transition and marking at 545-615 they were running slightly late. We then headed down to the river where the swim was to take place- about 500-700m away from transition- because of the cyclones they decided not to have a beach swim (I was actually looking forward t it though). My wave was 5th. Start was standing in shallows and was quite clean. I got right up the front straight away. Was following one girl for about 100m before she must have died and dropped back. I then, with a very steady pace took my own lead. There was a huge current moving everyone left off the course so I intentionally (due to Brooke and my reasoning) swum very right- seemingly off course but it worked perfectly and I don’t think we ended up too far off course at all. Swim time ended up being 19mins so it really wasn’t too bad!!

I came out of the water with another girl at my heels. Transition was good and quick- I took a short cut across the grass to minimize my detour of a transition spot and was out quite quickly. The ride was interesting. 2/3 girls passed me early on but I think they started off too hard too quick because not too soon after I had passed 2 of them. I could always see the 3rd in front of me. It was a draft fest- Michelle wasn’t wrong. Many big packs did pass. I got caught in some, before the draft busters came along and broke them up. Generally however I remained relatively by myself. I did have a nice conversation about felts with one guy.

The course was so incredibly boring! One hill at the start then flat the entire way out and back!! I just pumped along. Probably at a bit of a higher gear than I should have but I was feeling very good- and I really don’t mind flat courses. I finished the ride in 1:06. It did feel like a good ride and there was nothing to slow me down. I came off the ride still behind the girl. Onto the run- I felt really really good at the start and got into it straight away! I passed the girl and well she stuck at my heels for ages. Then she dropped off and I still felt really good. I stayed in that position, passing some guys (something I am totally not used to doing!) It was at the turn around of the second lap I think where I massively began to feel it. I must have slowed quite a bit because then that girl came back and was at my heels again, I decided I didn’t like that so I dropped back, and when realizing she also dropped back so I kept going. She picked it up with about 1km to go and I just didn’t have enough in me to keep up. She ended up getting me, I did 41:54.


Overall though I had a killer race. 2:10:04!!! Mega impressed! I did have a very good swim and ride and my run was also quite good for me. Didn’t feel too bad at the end, and managed to take the timing chip off myself! (I always know how buggered I am whether or not I can manage to take the chip off or not!) So I think there are lots more to come! Especially in Geelong!

No comments: