Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Nowra Triathlon- 11 November 06

I really wanted to have a good race here, because I knew I was in good shape from Noosa but I wanted to prove to myself it wasn’t a fluke and that I could do it again. I wasn’t that nervous though which I think is good- too many nerves are a waste of precious energy!!

The Swim: Wetsuit even though it was boiling outside! I thought I had an ok position but when we started I was in for a bit of a shock. Fortunately for me I am usually at the front of the swim with clear water in front and around me. This time though I mustn’t have had the speed and I got caught up in a big bunch (which I’m not used to at all and my hat comes off to everyone that has to deal with it all the time-it’s hard work!) with 2 girls really close to me either side and I sware they were converging into me. I was getting wacked left and right and my goggles got knocked off- a quick fix put them back on but I couldn’t swim like that for much longer I couldn’t breathe so by then I had had enough and moved to some clearer water but from all the fuss I missed the pack. And was quite behind…I gained some ground on the rest of the swim but was quite behind the leaders. T1 was ok- not good but ok- not a fan of wetsuits I have to admit. I felt a bit shaken from the swim actually and had some trouble getting it off but I jumped on the bike ok and was off.

The Ride: To be honest I didn’t feel so great in the first km of the bike. I was hurting like it was the last km, but I was so determined not to let Brooke beat me! (thanks Brookey!! ;) ) She was 30sec in front from the swim so I pushed to catch up to her and Brooke you were on a roll because it definitely wasn’t easy. I continued at a pretty steady pace until the first turnaround which was slightly before half way. It was a very undulating course, definitely not flat but no big hills- great for getting into the TT position and just letting loose. At the turnaround I saw that there was one girl quite a bit ahead and she looked to be going great so I was pretty much accepting that I wouldn’t catch her. There was another 2 back a bit from her and possibly in my reach. Plus there was another right behind me, I knew Brooke was back there somewhere and yep- here comes Michelle. Right that was the turning point. If I wanted any chance at beating Michelle (I wasn’t actually thinking about overall places at all at this stage!) I was going to have to move my ass right now. So I did. I just took off… I had a Gu (which really helped!) and smashed it. Thankyou to Davey Hamer who gave some awesome encouragement along the way… And it did the job cos I didn’t slow down after that… I passed the 2 girls that were in front and I started to wonder how much further in front this other girl was… Sure enough we were less than 5km out and there she was- I flew past her and was thinking wow I must have really smashed that 2nd half! Anyway into T2 and I had 10sec on her. In transition all the commentator could say was how this Lisa girl had given Belinda Granger a run for her money the weekend before and ‘this girl can run!!’ Great- I was thinking with a sigh- I am about to be smashed.

The Run: Sure enough about probably less than a km out of T2 and she passed me. I got a stitch pretty soon after and was running basically the whole way with my fingers dug into my side… at least I could keep running that way! I kept her at the most about 150m away…then at about 6/7km my stitch went away! Awesome. So I pulled my fingers out of my side, stood up straighter and increased my pace. She was getting closer. Wow- I could actually get her! It was probably a good thing I could concentrate on catching this girl in front of me because it took my mind off everything else. I finally reached her and we had just reached the downhill with about 2km to go. I just let go and ran. I was totally expecting her to sit with me and demolish me at the end but she really didn’t sit with me for too long I didn’t look back…there was the bridge… I was just thinking I am so close- just go!! Across the bridge, round the corner and there was the finish with the banner!! It felt so good! She didn’t come in until 30sec later! That was my first National Series Overall Win and it felt so good…you should try it some time. Haha. My time in the end was 2.13.11 which I was more than happy with… Next up is Newcastle 26th November.

No comments: