Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Noosa Triathlon- 29 October 06

This time I’ve just returned from a fantastic week in Noosa. I stayed with Brooke, her flat mate Heather, Jason and Craig. It was a prime location right in the centre of it all at #2 Hastings St (awesome—remember it for future trips oh and if reception tell you not to have bikes in the rooms really he means “if you don’t have bikes in your rooms what are you doing here??”). Good planning Brooke!


Brooke & I did the ocean water swim as a bit of a warm up the day before. It was good fun. Quite rough though!

We knew it was going to be a big race before we even left home but wow- it was huge with 3500 competitors – 3rd biggest race in the world! Transition was hectic with 13 long rows of age group plus open and elite, and they were so close together I was worried about getting the bike through! Despite the temperature being in the 30’s and the water feeling great it was made a wetsuit swim! (??!) Luckily we had all brought wetsuits except for Craig who doesn’t actually own one (but for good reasons haha – you’ve gotta ask him about that one) but he ended up having a killer swim without it anyway ;)

Brooke and I were off at 0755 which was 16-19, 20-24 and two older age gps. We were a bit behind the guys. We had an awesome swim- which evened out slowly if not at all because of all the competitors that were in the water from the other waves. I was really happy with the swim actually I was swimming next to 2 girls for a bit before taking the lead. I felt quite strong and although I couldn’t see them I was pretty sure there were girls on my feet. After the probably slightly long swim was 1st out of the water with another girl behind me and Brooke behind her. Wet suit off- not so quickly unfortunately but I’ll work on it- and straight onto the bike.

I just wanted to smash it… so I did. I was off right from the word go. I passed quite a few people which just motivated me even more I felt good J. I knew Noosa was a draft fest and I was ready to play the game but for the first half there just weren’t any packs and I was riding strong passing people anyway so I went on solo up the big hill- which really wasn’t too steep at all, I was able to sit in my big chain ring the whole way, but It was long. It wasn’t until a bit over half way that a massive pack caught me- which I guess was a good thing- but sure enough there was Brooke! (You smashed it girl!) It did get to me a bit that I had been killing it for the first half by myself then along came the pack but oh well you get that.. We got to the huge decent (where I reached 91km/hr in the pre race ride!!) And I had to give the boys a bit of a talking to (or should I say yelling at) after I almost got knocked off from some careless riding in the race which resulted in having to use the brakes and only making 87km/h in the race but thankfully there were no stacks and it was ok… anyway, the pace and carelessness was annoying me quite a bit so I decided that was enough and tried to break away- without much luck the pack just drafted off the back. That went on for the rest of the ride- me and a few others just wanted to get away and we would for a bit but the pack would just form again on the back. Despite this I was delighted with the ride because I had worked hard and we came in on 1.05! Very happy.

Brooke and I went through transition together and took off for the run. I desperately wanted to have a good run because I had done a lot of training and I just wanted to make up for Switzerland. So I pushed it along- and I learnt the hard way why it is a good idea to have 2 sets of shoes – one for training and one for racing. I ran in my Asics Kayano’s which are heavy to start with but with all the water being sprayed at you on the course (which was a god send) and all the drink stations (also gladly welcomed) - me pouring water everywhere- they put on about 5 kg!! I’ll stop complaining though and yes I had a god run in about 40mins. And that made me come in with 2.09.45!!! I learnt later that it was the top female age group time by about 5 mins and (I was very proud of this bit) I would have come 8th in Elite (haha- yes there were 11 in the race and 3 DNF’s but what that means is that I would have beat 1 girl! Bring on the pro races!)
In Elite- Felicity Abram 1st, Luxford 2nd, Snowsill 3rd .In the men Craig Walton smashed it, Bevan Dockarty 2nd, Gemmel 3rd. Azza Farlow came in 7th which was awesome.

Partied and soaked up the sun on Sunday and Monday & back to Canberra on Tuesday… (sigh- didn’t want to leave the sunshine coast!) But not long till we’re off again for Nowra which is the next one on the agenda…till then,

Kat

No comments: