Saturday, March 10, 2007

My First Triathlon

I did my First Triathlon with the Defence Force.

The first Olympic Distance was the Darwin Arafura Games in May 2005. It was all paid for- infact it was like being pro. I was paid to do it!

I had no idea at first and the rest of the team (who were all absolute champions) had to teach me everything they knew.


I had a learsport bike which Dad had bought for me in year 11 when wanted to ride to school and the gym. It was $700 which seemed like so much for a bike!! (I loved it and kept it in the loungeroom!)


I went on my first 'long' ride (60k!! haha) and it killed me. I also didn't have the cycling knicks, any spare tubes or pump, actually come to think of it i also didn't have drink bottles either. They were fantastic to me and prepared me for the race. (i had a week before the race and i smashed that entire week- it was the only tri training i had ever done- who said you need taper!?)

The day came and i smashed it. I came 2nd overall (only got passed at the end of the run) (which i had no background in). But first in my age group by...quite a bit. It was awseome fun and i was hooked which was lucky because from that 1 race i was selected for the Age Group World Championships in Hawaii in October!!




The others decided for me i needed to train (which i agreed to). Ben Gathercole they said and gave me his number. I would have been stupid not to persue it, so as soon as i got back to canberra i called him, i had to wait a little bit for the end of the winter break before we started but then i went to my first training, Monday night Home trainer (bike set up stationary). I loved it and haven't looked back since. Although i have gone through life changes.

No comments: