Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Port Stephens Triathlon- 12 March 06

Well it started off not that good after changing plans from driving up with danealle on Sat to driving myself on Fri after my classes. This was ok except for when I started getting lost. I think it was probably about 6 calls to Sonja by the end. But I did make it!!

Anyway Saturday was lots of fun. We decided we would do an 8 o’clock start on the bike- ride from Sonja’s house to the race start and do one lap of the bike course. We did that and it seemed like it was going to be fast- very flat, with one steep hill that just jumps up at you, but luckily it wasn’t long. After we did that we had a coffee (essential after all that hard work) then beach time!! We went and swam some surfed and boogie boarded, made a sand castle and buried Olivia and Phil.

After getting a bit too burnt (Me and Jason) we headed back for lunch. Then went to the race rego. Sat around for a bit, and went back for a massive restaurant style dinner of spaghetti, garlic bread, salad and ice cream at Sonja’s place with all the Canberra guys (everyone had now arrived), that she had cooked beautifully. (Thanks Sonja!). Anyway the race.

We headed down at 6am after running and having breakie at home. The transition was very long! We put in our bikes, listened to the brief and headed down to the start- all the girls were to go at 7:30, males 35+ at 7:40 and males 35 &U 7:45. It was a deep water start and was so confusing, we didn’t exactly know where to start, and without warning when to start!

I managed to get a good posi in the swim, in the lead pack, but still behind an elite girl who had gone solo right at the start- she was flying (in the water)!! I stayed there doing a bit of the work fo awhile until the girls started going in the wrong direction!! I thought they were going to the wrong byoy and didn’t really want to go more than I had to so started swimming the other way (the right direction), I did start to get ahead until they realized they were going the wrong way and came storming back but because of the angle much to my disappointment I missed them and never caught up again, but wasn’t far off.

The swim-bike transition was long, and running on a road that wasn’t great but anyway I had a good transition. I caught a lot of the girls who were in that lead pack in the swim. My bike leg was awesome, I felt very strong and caught another few girls and was coming 4th for almost all of it. I started the run in 4th and kept it for a long time! But in the last few k’s another girl passed me, she was running well. So in the end I finished 5th overall Female, but it turns out 2 of the lead girls were pro’s so they didn’t count in the point score. Well it didn’t matter anyway they weren’t in my age group- it turns out I was the only one! But I was happy with the fact that my time would have been 2nd in 20-24 age gp too. I got 2.20.48 it turns out the swim was extra long at 2.2km!! (32min), bike I got 1.09 and to my utter amazement my run was 39.15!!! I was ecstatic with that!!!

No comments: